I'm going to a conference soon. It will be my first time attending a major meeting without presenting anything, and my first meeting in my new field. I'm super excited.
There is a reasonably large group from my institution going to this conference, so I feel like I'll have lots of opportunities to tag along and get introduced to new people without following one person around like a puppy. Also, there are a number of familiar names in the program (others like me that cross this particular disciplinary boundary) so I think I'll have a place to start with networking. The session are quite varied, so I think that there will be slugs of people going to the same sessions on similar topics together. Or not, if the meeting is really huge. I'm not sure what to expect.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to expanding my network, getting to know the people at my institution better, and most of all, learning a shit-ton from the talks. I've always learned easiest by listening, so I think I'm going to come away having made significant personal progress.
5 comments:
Good for you!
I meant to comment on your previous post too, I think you're doing awesome things at the moment! I would be totally scared and stressed about organizing a meeting at this point.
Would you mind telling me what conference you're going too? I thought all the amazing meetings in ecogeo-science were done with for this season, but then again i'm not sure to what cross-border multi-interdisciplinary field you've moved...
Have fun! Sounds very fun and exciting
Sounds like fun! I, too, am looking forward to my first scientific meeting since joining a new lab (although it won't be a for a while yet!)
Slugs...?
Have fun! I miss going to conferences. I keep hoping one of the big societies in my field will decide to try out the new Vancouver convention centre some time soon - I could probably swing a local meeting.
I am sooo jealous. I haven't been to a conference in ages and I've never had the pleasure of attending a conference without presenting or speaking. Have a great time!
Post a Comment