Saturday, January 23, 2010

Memes

Have you noticed that there have been very few memes circulating in this corner of the blogosphere lately? When I started by blog in late 2007, it seemed memes were pretty common, but they've really trailed off over the past year or so.

People act like it's a big inconvenience to be tagged for a meme, but I kind of like it. However, that attitude made me reluctant to tag people. Still, I think memes are kind of fun sometimes, provide an easy topic for a post, and are a nice way to help new bloggers grow their audience. So if anyone gets a new meme, you are welcome to tag me.


I did see that Cuttlefish started a very cool new meme last week and I'm curious to see if it starts circulating widely. A worthy effort, but my guess is that it will be too difficult for many people to write something fast enough.

9 comments:

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Yeah, that just makes my head hurt, especially since lunch is typically fig newtons while dinner is usually cereal.

Lockwood said...

Here's one I posted last June, which I was a little disappointed got no takers. The point isn't to find cool rocks in the sidewalk (or whatever pavement is available), but to reflect on your region's geology from the perspective of what you find in the concrete. I'm still finding fun little surprises such as opal and petrified wood fragments since I started paying attention to the artificial rocks under my feet.

EcoGeoFemme said...

UR, I can think of some special dinners, but it's hard to narrow down the focus to one or two, and to explain why they were more special than others. I've enjoyed thinking about it, but won't write a post unless I'm specifically tagged (rather than the "I also tag everyone" that Cuttlefish added later).

Lockwood, that post is super cool and makes for an interesting meme, but I'm not geo-literate enough to participate! My sidewalk looks way smooth, at least compared to yours. And when I think of what's in my region I think of loess, although there must be some source of gravel around here somewhere. I did have a rocks class way back, but I'm sad to say I didn't retain much.

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

Consider this me specifically tagging you for a meme over at my place. :) I always feel reluctant to tag people, because I'm worried that they think it's a huge pain. I enjoy memes for the same reasons you do.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I like (most) memes, if they're not too lengthy. I got a bit sick of those lists of books where you bold the ones you've read, though - I think there were three in a short period, with different but overlapping lists of books!

I don't specifically tag anyone any more, but I tag "anyone reading this who's [X}", where X is something I've mentioned in the meme. That way people who want to play can, and people who don't want to pay can just keep quiet and ignore it!

comebacknikki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
comebacknikki said...

I love memes & used to do them frequently during my first couple of years of blogging. Feel free to tag me if any come your way! :)

Amelie said...

Tag away, I'd say -- I always find it nice to be tagged, even if I don't always get around to actually doing it.

Anonymous said...

i love memes, tag me anytime!!