Friday, November 9, 2007

Finally

After more than a year of commenting incessantly on other people's blogs, I finally have a blog of my own. At first I didn't start a blog because I didn't feel like I had anything unique to say. Eventually, I decided that I actually do have something to contribute to the conversation. I think my position is uncommon and maybe even a little inspiring: I am a member of two labs, each populated with70% women. I have a female research advisor who I adore and a male academic/research advisor who I like and appreciate. I am not bitter. But the more I learn the ins-and-outs of how the system works, the more reservations I have about my proposed career path.

I have come to really enjoy the blog community in which I have been lurking. I almost exclusively read women scientists and academics. It's so interesting to get such candid insight from people I would probably never interact with otherwise, either because of differences in research subject or status. They have provided adjunct mentorship, inspiration, outrage, comedy, and lots of fodder for conversation between my boyfriend and me. Now I want to join the club. And it never hurts to write more.

2 comments:

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Welcome! It sounds like you indeed will have a lot to talk...er..write about!

ScienceMama said...

Hooray!!