So, things have gotten better for me lately, stress-wise. The change happened as soon as I got my defense lined up. This strikes me as a little paradoxical, since you'd think that once the clock was officially ticking, I'd be freaking out about finishing. I think the crux on my anxiety was that grad school was starting to feel interminable.
I had a committee meeting in May 2008, and at that point we all thought I'd finish in about a year. Actually, I thought I might be able to defend in March 2009. When it became clear that wouldn't happen, I thought I could do it in June. Then October. Finally I put my foot down with December.
I had sort of a low point mid-summer. The proximate reason was my frustration with the slow pace of paper revisions. The ultimate reason, however, was that I just could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. It seemed like I should be wrapping up, but there was so much left to do and no one seemed to be thinking I should be nearing completion except me.
I was adamant that my defense had to be done this year. There's not a good reason for that, though, except for the psychological cost of waiting longer -- I've completely missed the graduation deadline for fall semester. I simply could not handle pushing it off any more.
Fortunately, I feel like the tension broke over the last few weeks/months for several reasons: 1) I got my advisors' blessings to schedule the defense in December; 2) my out-of-state committee member agreed to come and scheduled his travel; 3) I finished a draft of the pile-o-shit paper (aka poopsicle); and 4) I have all my data in hand.
Now all I have to do is finish the mother fucker.
5 comments:
Go YOU!! I feel your pain. Really, I do. December is a fucking Godsend.
Yay! I like having definite plans too, vagueness makes me uneasy.
I too find that having an approved plan helps tremendously even though there is a lot of work left. Good luck with all the work!
I guess valuing certainty is a common trait among scientists!
I totally understand. Having and end to the madness really gave me a sense of relief no matter how much extra work it added. Extra work was much easier to deal with than neverending.
Oh and "poopsicle," that's freaking awesome.
Post a Comment