Wednesday, February 24, 2010

ScienceGirl's Baby Shower!

ScienceGirl may not have a great big network in her new town to help her raise her new baby, but she sure does have a lot of love on the internets.  I want to thank everyone for contributing to our virtual baby shower for ScienceGirl, and making this a group of posts that she will be able to reread in the future.  Hopefully these posts will help her remember that even though we aren't there in person, she has many people all over the world who have her back.  We all seem to share a deep confidence that ScienceGirl will make a wonderful mother, and to want to remind her to trust her instincts while taking care of herself too.

Without further ado, let's get this party started!

ScientistMother says that a happy mommy leads to a happy baby, so remember to take care of yourself!  Chall adds that you shouldn't stress about being perfect, and recommends some clothing choices for when the baby is small. A couple of guests elaborated on the futility of striving for perfection by noting that early problems don't always persist. Beaker Half Full shared a story about the challenge of leaving her baby brother at daycare to illustrate that even things that seem heartbreaking probably aren't as bad as you think, and Short Geologist reminded us all that a perceived weakness in childhood don't always last into adulthood.  Very reassuring!

A baby shower staple is recommendations for good books. You undoubtedly already have plenty to read, but let us suggest some favorites. Amelie offered a list of her childhood favorites, encompassing a wide range of delightful stories that will be appropriate for your daughter as she grows up.  Karina recommended Free Range Kids, which she says is about raising "independent, confident kids".  I described a book that may help with showing love in your family when things get challenging.


Several seasoned moms offered some advice straight from the trenches.  LabMom says to trust yourself, don't fall into the martyr trap, accept help, be proud of your identity as a parent, and don't feel guilty to admit that some parts of the job suck.  BeanMom also offers some extremely practical advice, from poop to sleep to support groups to remember to enjoy it while it lasts (or be patient until it's over, if it's something suckful).  Rebecca too reminded you to remember that "this too shall pass" and to not be too hard on yourself.  In fact, the fleeting nature of child development seems to be an emergent theme at this party.  We're having a lengthy conversation at this shower about how you have to remind yourself that the colic and poop won't last and you have to savor the joys when they come.  Jennie  wants to be sure that you try to remain grateful for it all, and Mad Hatter thinks that won't be too hard if a baby is anything like a dog (as she suspects), since the things that suck (like waking up to the sound of vomit in the night) will pale in comparison to the joy your baby will bring.

A baby shower wouldn't be complete without some fun and games, and Fia and Cath came through with some laughs.  Fia suggested some hilarious-looking parenting aids, and Cath shared a great joke about the work load of a mother - funny, of course, because it can be all too true! Makita reminded us that kids have their own personalities from day 1, and made us laugh too with a story about how her kid could spill the soup before he was even born!  Banshee wanted to play a game, and so gave you some advice to draw from a hat when you need it.  I propose we play another little game--it's probably too late to start a pool on the baby's birth date, but we could guess her birth weight.  Party guests, please leave a comment with your guess, and hopefully ScienceGirl won't mind telling us who is closest.  I suggest we play for bragging rights rather than a potted plant.  :)

Lin and Amanda spoke for all of us, I think, when they expressed their confidence in your ability, ScienceGirl. Your training in grad school, your discipline in running, and your consistently balanced and positive outlook will no doubt be assets on your journey through motherhood!

So please, everyone, eat a cupcake in honor of ScienceGirl, her husband, and her very-soon-to-arrive baby.  On behalf of everyone, I'd like to say congratulations and best wishes in your new life with baby!

If I missed any posts, it was most certainly not intentional, so please let me know and I will correct my mistake!

9 comments:

ScientistMother said...

Oh gosh these are so wonderful! I've only gone through a few, but wow we've got some amazing people in our little community. You gals make me feel so proud and happy to be part of this. Thanks for doing this EGF!

lin said...

I guess the baby will weight 3585 grams

chall said...

Thanks for putting it all together EGF. Lovely reading.

I'm voting for 3300 grams.

I'm sensing that a converter tool will be helpful in the weight games :)

makita said...

My guess for weight is 2900 grams. I had small babies, so I suppose I always guess smallish. Someone has to, so it's me.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Awesome post, EGF, and many thanks again for such an excellent idea!

I guess... well, this is hard, not knowing how big ScienceGirl and her husband and their families are... let's go with 8 lb 2

ScienceGirl said...

Oh, this is sort of like the price is right, except way more fun :)

And Cath, seeing us would probably not help you much as I was bigger at birth than Hubby who is now nearly twice my size (well, except when I am pregnant ;)

The bean-mom said...

Thanks so much for organizing the party, EGM! What fun!

And I don't think in grams (being American). I'll guess 7 lbs?

The bean-mom said...

Sorry, I meant "EGF." Don't know what I was thinking!

EcoGeoFemme said...

Glad you enjoyed the party!

My guess is 4100 g (9 lbs). I probably wouldn't have guessed that big if I had gone first, but I wanted to throw out a number that was different. :)