Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Quiet time

I have taken a few casual personality tests over the years, and every time I come out right on the line between introvert and extrovert.  I think this is very accurate, as I enjoy the company of others but being around too many people or meeting lots of new people really wears me out.

I've met about a dozen new people since I started my new job.  I had actually been introduced to most of these people before, but even still it felt like a lot of effort to interact with them last week.  I had to give a presentation yesterday that I enjoyed, but performing for two hours--even to a friendly audience--wore me out.  To top it off, I'm not settled into my new office yet (necessary furniture isn't all there), so I have been feeling happy but at loose ends.

I had to take care of a critical errand this morning which was going to make me significantly late.  Between that and a major snowstorm, I decided to stay home.  I had a haircut appointment tomorrow evening for which I was going to have to leave a little early, but I was able to reschedule it for this afternoon instead, so now I'll be able to stay late tomorrow to make up some of the lost time today.  I haven't gotten much done today, but I think it will ultimately be a good thing.  I needed a day away from people and my chaotic office so I could recharge a little bit.  I think I'll be in good shape tomorrow to focus on some real work.

7 comments:

Nina said...

EGF it's so interesting to read all your experiences in your new job ... it prepares me for mine, thanks a lot!
Yesterday my closest colleagues came over for dinner (which I swore to myself is something I will do earlier and more regular in NZ and not wait until 2 weeks before I leave the institute) and I noticed I feel completely relaxed with them, and I know it will suck all energy out of me to start working/living in an entirely new environment and have new people around me all the time.

Amelie said...

I've never taken such a test, but, while I enjoy having people around, I too need a break after some time. New environments (work or otherwise) are especially exhausting.

chall said...

I do come out as introvert most of the times (on the fence clearly). And while I like being around people, and people usually say something to the effect "you're such a social person", I think I'm truly introvert since I need quiet time. Alone and recharge the batteries.

That is, at least the tests I have taken, the main thing between intro- and extrovert. Where do you charge your batteries? Some people charge them in a crowd of people, chatting and mulling around, others like being home alone with a book/just sitting and thinking...

My first month at my new place was exhausting :) trying to interact with all these new people and be my best!

Enjoy the day off and good luck with the rest of the "first three months"!

microbiologist xx said...

I'm an extrovert for sure and it has helped as I transition from new place to new place, but it also sucks because I tend to get volunteered for things a lot.
I hope your batteries got recharged! I think I finally recovered from my first grant submission. It really kicked my ass. :)

stepwise girl said...

Hi there!

Congrats on the new job, hope you end up feeling 'at home' there too. Surely some of your new colleagues are like you and will respect the need to be quieter from time to time... I guess right now you're a sort of 'novelty' for them too.

How did that haircut go?

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

I'm usually on the introverted side. I need that time away from people in order to be happy and productive. I hope your day off and hair cut went well!

EcoGeoFemme said...

The haircut turned out great, thanks for asking!

I'm already feeling better. It's nice to know other people have similar experiences with this kind of thing. I noticed a similar thing with my book club, where I used to feel kind of reserved because I didn't feel super comfortable with so many new people. The last couple of months they have commented that I seem so relaxed. They think it's because I finished my PhD, which could be part of it, but I think it's because I'm finally comfortable with them. I expect the same thing will happen with the work people.