My whiny post yesterday was a little bit of foreshadowing. Today I will discuss how I always feel crappy in December.
I have gone to a meeting in each of the past 3 or 4 Decembers. It sucks. There is always so much else going on with the holidays and scrambling to meet year-end goals. And I am never motivated in December. I'm either feeling lousy because it's dark and dreary or distracted because I'm excited about the approaching break/holiday. Every year I vow I won't do it again and then the next year I see myself hitting submit on an abstract for a December meeting. But I didn't this year! I'm blissfully deadline free until February. In any case, since it's so hard for me to set and stay focused on reasonable writing goals even when I'm feeling good, I think it's prudent for me to spend some time in the lab during a time when I know I'm easily distracted.
On top of my normal December yuck, EGM is away for 6 weeks (have I mentioned this yet? I'm one of those people who tells the same stories over and over and sometimes I worry I do it on the blog, too). I dropped him at the airport last weekend and now he's gone and I'm sad. I've never liked living alone. It's hard for me to resist turning into a giant stain when I'm home alone.
I mentioned the other day that I since I want to continue making progress on my new paper, I intend to write for the few first hours of each day and then move on to lab work. I think this is a great plan for my December because it should keep me moving. I think I'd spend a lot of time spacing out in front of my computer if I planned to just write this month. My idea is that if I plan to be at the bench, I'll at least be doing something. Seeing some measurable results will make me feel good about myself and perhaps keep me from slumping more. And it will be great to have something to show for myself when EGM returns.
9 comments:
Well, I for one am sorry that you won't be at this December's meeting. But I agree that going to a conference at this time of year is ridiculously stressful, and I sure didn't miss that the last two years when I didn't go to AGU.
Sounds like a good plan and no deadlines until February sounds awesome. I think splitting the day in two is a good idea. That works well for me too.
well, someone decided to organize a ridiculously interesting workshop 15-17th December. Should be forbidden. But I'm still stupid enough to attend.
I think the key is measurable results. I find that if I can see myself making progress, then I'm more likely to keep on working. I get the December Slump, too. I'm trying to get through it and obtain some results.
I get lazy when my significant other goes away also. Good luck these 6 weeks.
I don't like living alone either - I hope the 6 weeks pass quickly.
I think I might have a wee touch of SAD, I don't feel depressed, just really lethargic and unfocused. 17 days to the longest night! Can't wait... I don't mind the cold or the rain too much, but the darkness does get to me. Last year I got sick at around this time (food poisoning, worse than I've ever had - I was ill for 10 days and had to go the hospital for IV fluids because I couldn't keep myself hydrated) and it took me forever to get out of the slump I found myself in. I'm doing my best to stay healthy and get as much daylight as possible this year!
Good idea to write the first thing every day. I think I'll get back on that wagon next week with my endless review. I did just send another version to my advisor, but it hardly counts because all I did was add a section to fulfill a course requirement (I'll probably cut the section again later).
I can't wait for the days to get longer again!
Yeah, SW, we seem to keep missing each other at meetings. Too bad.
Interesting that we all feel sort of the same way. And don't worry, I'll be sure to report how my writing/lab split days go!
Good luck with the writing every day. I can never do it first thing in the morning but right before lunch works well for me. Motivation in the form of food.
It is interesting that December is a slump for so many people. My slump comes in January-February. Pretty lights and getting a scheduled break each year keep my spirits up. Then *bam* dark dreariness with nothing in sight till March.
Post a Comment