Awesome Technician occasionally goes to professional development workshops offered by our HR department and she's patient enough to share the wisdom with me afterward. One such class was about giving and receiving feedback, both positive and
First of all, the class claims that, contrary to conventional wisdom, it is not good to start negative feedback with a positive statement. It can
- confuse the listener -- was she saying I did a good job or a bad job?
- water down the praise -- people are more likely to remember the negative things, so the positives get lost
- lead to mistrust -- any future praise is met with anticipation of a "but"
Another poor opener for negative feedback is something like "I know you've been busy, but..." Don't supply the listener's excuses for her! You want the conversation to be focused on how to change behaviors so work goes more smoothly. An excuse parade doesn't accomplish that, it restricts the discussion to shallow lip-service without getting to the core of the problem.
A feedback conversation can also be derailed by ranting or venting. Vent to your friends! Don't waste work time with inefficient ranting that just makes people feel bad. You want the conversation to be positive so you can make progress toward fixing your problem. It's emotional enough to give negative feedback (for both parties) without adding a lot of hot-headed nonsense to the mix. Plus, the heart of the problem and how to solve it may not be clear to the listener if it is buried in a litany of emotional complaints.
So what should you say when you need to convey dissatisfaction? It's important to keep it brief (under 60 sec, although the resulting conversation may be much longer) and to the point. You should boil the problem down to a simple, clear statement, say how it's affecting your work, and then open the conversation up for discussion of solutions. Try to use your most calm and neutral tone.
- Start by stating the problem.
- Then say how the person's behavior is part of the problem.
- Next, say how the problem is affecting you, your colleagues, or your productivity.
- End with a question to kick off the discussion.
Hopefully, this will encourage the person to own up to their poor lab citizenship and either get their A into G to quit using everyone else's shit or to say that there really is a wrinkle in the system that could be ironed out.
14 comments:
Oh oh oooh EGF very good!
This is soo much more professional than my angry emails, I should read this post a few more times and then do the exact same thing. Thanks very much and good luck with your papers!!!
Excellent points and kudos to you for coming up with such a clear and direct starter for the discussion with your advisor. Like Nina, I think I should be reading this post again.
that's great! welcome to the world of management (aka:my life).
Way to take the bull by the horns, EGF. Not everyone has the courage to firmly address their supervisor. I imagine that this conversation will result in a very positive change.
Way to go! So impressed by your attitude and execution. Excellent job.
Weekly writing meetings sound like a really good idea, and maybe so they don't get lost or postponed, early in a week might be a good time. Anyway, it sounds like you are on the right track - stick to your guns next year! And great post about how to give feedback.
Excellent post! I've always shied away from the whole professional development / self-help book arena, but if the advice is as good as this I might need to re-think!
Great post! This is fantastic advice and an excellent example. This is just the kind of interaction style that is so hard to articulate and execute, and some people do it naturally (I'm not one of them), so its nice of you to share this. Thanks.
Great advice and your implementation was perfect.
I'm glad you had such a positive outcome and weekly writing meetings sound like a great idea!
I'm glad the post was helpful. I was worried it might come across preachy or something. And I know it's pretty long.
SF, it's a good idea to aim for early-week meetings. I had envisioned Fridays, but you make an excellent point that they might get dumped as distractions compound over the week.
BFF, I can't imagine navigating your job. I would end each day in a crumpled heap.
This is great advice! I will definitely refer back to this the next time I have to say less than desirable things. I'm glad you were finally able to talk to RA about the problem!
very good indeed. the science world would be a better place if all gave feedback like that!
Wow, now this is how feedback is supposed to work!
This was super-helpful, and I really like how it is adaptable both for discussions with the Boss and with the Tech. Thank you.
Post a Comment