I went to the concert alone and survived and even had a good time. I'm so glad that being by myself didn't stop me from going. It did stop me from drinking, however, because I wanted be clear-headed for 1) the bus ride home 2) navigating the crowd -- I almost took several elbows to the head as it was, and it was a very tame crowd and 3) talking to strangers.
In honor of Repeal Day, there was 1920's themed burlesque show instead of an opening band. They passed out feather boas at the door -- to get people in the mood, I guess. There was an MC who sang a number with a ukulele and then told jokes and facts about Repeal Day between dancing acts. Oh the dancing acts. I was really not expecting to see 1920's themed strippers when I went to this show. It was bizarre. But also kind of fun because it was so different.
Anyway, the show was good despite not having a brass section there. A dude standing next to me who was also there alone chatted me up between the strippers and the main act. We got into an interesting conversation about climate change and it was kind of nice to talk to someone instead of standing there like a goober. I saw another guy who I had noticed the last time I saw this band. He just stood there singing all the lyrics to all the songs. superfan!
I'm definitely glad I went but it would have been more fun with a friend. It was a little empowering to not let myself be held back by others. I bet some of you do stuff like this all the time and think I'm silly for making such a big deal about it, but seriously, I'm such a homebody that this was kind of a thing for me.
10 comments:
Good for you! Always empowering to do something out on your own and realize that you CAN.
I've only been to the movies once by myself. I'm not one for going places by myself, so kudos to you! I'm glad that you had fun. I keep hoping that the tour will stop by me, but it hasn't yet :-(
Good for you for going. I do stuff on my own all the time, but I don't know if I'd be up for large-crowd-navigation like that on my own.
Glad you went and had fun, but...
"A dude standing next to me who was also there alone chatted me up between the strippers and the main act"
Taken out of context, that phrase definitely sounds just wrong, somehow!
I go to movies/park/etc. by myself when Hubby is out of town, but haven't tried a concert. Glad you enjoyed it!
I think it's cool you went ahead and did that, and that you had a good time. Makes me want to go out somewhere!
I've gone to movies by myself but not a big crowd event like that - you go girl! Glad you had fun!
I have been to a few concerts by myself but not since the Grackle and I have been together. When we are apart, I'm usually too lazy to bother going out by myself! Glad you went out and that it was a good time!
The best thing about blogging is all these pats on the head. ;)
Grumpy, I see what you mean. Ewww. Did I mention he asked me out for grilled cheese after? Um, no thanks.
Grilled cheese?
Post a Comment