This year, I share my birthday with Jesus' resurrection (zombie day?), so Ecogeoman and I are dutifully off to my hometown for the weekend. I think we'll have fun. We're going to spend Saturday evening with my BFF and some other friends and then Sunday will be a family Easter extravaganza, complete with an egg hunt and many arguments over peanut butter eggs which are the centerpiece of our candy cap-and-trade system. We're taking Monday off to drive back home at a leisurely pace.
I'm really excited about going away for the weekend. EGM has been so stressed and busy with work and I could use a break as well. I am not, however, too excited about this birthday, 29. I have clear childhood memories of my mom teasing my sister-in-law about aging, saying she should say she was 29 when she was well past 30. Not an novel joke, but one I heard so young that it stuck with me. It makes me feel now that I have only the last crumb of my youth left to savor. But, I can take heart that no matter now old I get, I will always be fresh compared to my siblings!
20 comments:
Happy Birthday!
Today is one of my bff's b-day and on Monday my grandma turns 70 on Sunday. So you can't feel too old compared with 70.
Have a nice trip.
"It makes me feel now that I have only the last crumb of my youth left to savor."
Hey, watch who you call old! I've been "29" for several years now. :-)
Happy Birthday and have a great trip. Drive safely in all that snow. (Oh god, now I sound like my mother!)
Thanks, both.
Mad Hatter, I thought I might get a comment like yours. It's why I added the label "silliness". :) Hopefully the snow will be gone by the time we leave. Oh, who I am kidding? With the way this winter is going, there's going to be snow for months!
Hmm, yeah, I'm currently closer to 40 than 30, so I don't really feel sorry for you at all... Come to think of it, I'm not too sorry for me either.
Happy birthday & drive safely.
Happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you!! I hope you had a great time. Yeah, you're absolutely ancient at 29. I'm with hypoglycemiagirl on this one.
Zombie day - heh! :)
Happy birthday!!!
Lol to Zombie day! But more importantly,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
well happy birthday AND happy easter!!!
Happy Birthday!
Don't buy into the ridiculous ageism of the "holding at 29" bullshit! I had great fun watching people do a triple take on my birthday last year - I turned 35 and I have more energy than my labmates who are 5-10 years younger than me. You really are as old as you feel. Anyway, who wants to savor their youth anymore? Young people get no respect!
Oh DUDE. I turn 29 in June and it's the first time that I am not at all looking forward to my birthday. Of course it doesn't help that I keep hearing from my family that I'm not getting any younger and better get settled down etc etc.
Plus I have a list of stuff I'm supposed to accomplish before I turn 30 (I know, I'm a nerd) and I really haven't accomplished a good chunk of it. I don't think a year is enough to learn Spanish or the guitar so....
Happy birthday!
As someone once told me, all the different ages have their own appeal.
I'm late, but hope you had a a great birthday!!
Also late but Happy Birthday! I'm not too excited about turning 29 later this year either...30 seems to loom and I'm sure there was all this stuff I wanted/ thought I'd do by then. Oh well, just have to do more this year!
Happy (belated) birthday!!
I'm 29 this July... it definitely has me thinking!
Happy (belated) birthday!
Oooh, I was so busy comisserating about turning 29, that I forgot to say happy birthday!!! Hope you had a good one! :)
Happy belated birthday!
I quite enjoyed turning 30, primarily because I got to say "mother, you do realise I'm 30, don't you?" when she asked me if I had my money in a safe place on a night out. (It was my stagette, actually, so by the end of the evening it would have been a fair question). But turning 31 last month was not so nice. I am now officially in my thirties, which is different to just being 30...
Thanks everyone!
Arduous & propter, I wanted my phd done by 30 and it's not gonna happen, so don't feel bad about whatever your goals were. At least you guys have jobs.
acmegirl, that makes me feel better!
cae, what's stagette?
Girly stag night! Known as hen night in the UK, but I thought people would be more likely to know what a stagette is. Oh well. Must be a Canadian thing. What do you call it in the States?
happy belated birthday!
Post a Comment