I’m still far from my next big transition (graduation), but I feel like I am on the cusp of a change in mindset; I feel like it is an adjustment for me to transition from a student with a long way to go to one who is wrapping up.
I recently finished one big chunk of my research that will become a chapter in my dissertation (huzzah!). I had been planning it for ages, then working on it off and on for the past 18 months or so, and now the data are collected. One of the things that way always in the future is now at hand. Add that to the manuscript that is in preparation, the lab work for another chapter that is 70% done (see sidebar counter), and the last chapter that was dramatically reduced after my most recent committee meeting, and I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I feel different preparing for Big Conference next week than I have for conferences in the past. People always ask if I’ll be finishing up soon and I always have to say no. This time, I get to say yes, I expect to be graduating in about a year and yes, I’m starting to think about post docs, will you have one available? I’ve even ordered business cards (I hope they arrive in time) to give out during all the networking I have planned. I feel similarly about the job ads that sail through my inbox every day. Occasionally, I’ll see interesting job listings, but I know I’m too far from finishing to pursue them. That will be changing soon.
It’s a little scary to realize the thing I’ve been doing for the past five years (seven if you count the time I was a tech in my current lab) is coming to a close. I love where I am, so it’s sad to think about leaving. But at the same time, it’s exciting to think about leaving to pursue something new, or even about staying but with a new project in the same lab. I’m really ready to graduate, but apprehensive about the thesis writing and defense process which I know will be stressful given my advisors’ lack of enthusiasm for reviewing my writing. So, while it may seem trivial to think of the last year of grad school as a transition, I think my mindset and even my daily routine will be changing quite a lot. I hope it’s good.
scientiae-carnival.
5 comments:
You and I are in the same boat this year, EGF! I feel a lot of the same things you are feeling, it's nice to read :)
My biggest confidence boost came during the transition you speak of. It is a fabulous thing to say, "Oh yes, I'll be done next year". It indicates that, in fact, you have been successful at something. Congrats on that.
If you are considering a post-doc, now is the time to start thinking about applying for fellowships. It may seem early, but it really isn't. Nobody told me to apply and it ended up making things complicated... so go for those fellowships now!
Yay for moving on to the "finishing up" stage! I am still in the "mid-way there" stage, looking forward to some changes, any day now. It's nice to read here what lies ahead :)
Huzzah indeed! You sound like you're in a really great place at the moment - full of potential. I hope your conference goes really well, as well as your FINAL YEAR. Yay!
Post a Comment